Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Occupation and Peace: Obsessed with Symptoms and Ignoring Causes

Doctor: Why are you here today?
Patient: I'm in pain.
Doctor: You have a splinter. You need to fix the splinter.
Patient: I'll think about that. I'm afraid of needles. But this pain is killing me.
Doctor: I can give you something to help with the pain but you need to deal with the splinter or I can, if you want.
Patient: NO!!! I'm REALLY afraid of other people with needles! Just give me something for the pain.
Doctor: Okay.

A few days later, the patient returns.

Doctor: Why are you here today?
Patient: I'm in pain.
Doctor: You seem to still have a splinter. You need to fix the splinter. It's becoming infected.
Patient: I'll think about that. I'm afraid of needles. But this pain is killing me.
Doctor: I can give you something to help with the pain and the infection, but you need to deal with the splinter, of I can if you want.
Patient: NO!!! I'm REALLY afraid of other people with needles! Just give me something for the pain and the infection.
Doctor: Okay.

A few days later, the patient returns.

Doctor: Why are you here today?
Patient: It's the pain!!! I still have the pain!!! It hurts so badly!
Doctor: You still have the splinter! When I ask you why you are here, you keep saying, "Pain." Pain is not why you are here. The splinter is why you are here. The pain is the result of the splinter. I can't really help you unless you are willing to remove the splinter.
Patient: I'll think about that. I'm afraid of needles. But this pain is killing me and it's infected again. End the pain. It hurts so badly!
Doctor: Okay, here's the pain killer and the antibiotic, but they will not really help unless you remove the splinter.

Israeli Majority: Why are you here today?
Israeli Left and Palestinians: It's the occupation! I still have the occupation! It hurts so badly!!!
Israeli Majority: You won't work to remove the cause of the occupation. When I ask you why you are here, you keep saying, "Occupation!" Occupation is not why you are here. The occupation is the result of your refusal to agree to peace. I can't really help your unless you are willing to agree to peace.
Israeli Left and Palestinians: I'll think about that. I'm afraid of compromising. But this occupation is killing me and its going to result in intifada again! End the occupation! It hurts so badly!
Israeli Majority: Okay, here's yet another minor concession and we'll work on security cooperation to deal with the potential intifada, but those things really won't help unless you are willing to agree to peace.

A little while later the patient returns: "It's the occupation..."

-D

No comments: